Saturday, January 23, 2010

"I'm Not an Idiot...and Neither are You!"

If you've ever read any "The Complete Idiot's Guide to...." books, you will likely recognize a brilliant marketing strategy. The titles have nothing to do with your intelligence. On the other hand, if you've ever shied away from such titles simply because you think you already know everything there is to know about the given topic, well, maybe the word "idiot' would apply. I just finished reading--devouring--The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Published (fourth edition by Sheree Bykofsky and Jennifer Basye Sander). What a fabulous book! It's straightforward, informative, well organized and even encouraging. With a yellow highlighter in hand, I marked stuff that I know I need to really internalize and "get". Frankly, I'm looking forward to rereading all the highlighted sections. (Yes, there are actually pages without any yellow!) I know it might sound bizzarro but...well, the truth is...this whole journey of learning about the connection between writing, authoring and the publishing industry really fascinates me! Maybe I'm still just naive. The point is, I've realized it's just that, a journey. One that takes time. And it's a journey you have to be completely committed to, with the emotional stamina to withstand the rejections and all the nitty-grittiness of the process. Call me an idiot but I'm up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment