Monday, November 1, 2010

"If NANOWRIMO is too much for you..."

For anyone who can't comprehend writing a complete novel in one month, don't despair. It's okay. Really. NANOWRIMO is there for those who are up for that particular challenge. But it may not be the right pace for you. Or me! At least not this November 1st. I did consider it for a long moment and almost gave in to the temptation. Putting basically everything else in my life on hold until numerous days after all the turkey has been gobbled...well, it actually sounded like a reprieve. Ah, to just write! But the stuff inside of me--my gut, my brain, and especially my heart--reminded me that there are other writing endeavors that will prove to be more beneficial to me this month.

Here's another option for you that will hopefully keep you in the writing mode and feeling good about your efforts. Last January I posted my "ABC's for 2010"--a list of simple ideas to help you stay focused on your writing--and which I'm going to use as the inspiration for my Monday posts over the next 26 weeks. The idea is to take it slow. Stay positive. Just move ahead. Together we'll make it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Martin Luther King Day, Human Right's Day, President's Day, Valentine's Day, Ground Hog Day, St. Patrick's Day, the Spring Equinox, Easter, and Palm Sunday! Every Monday I'll give you something to explore during the week that will help you deal with any guilt or lamentation you may feel about NOT writing a novel in 30 days!

Week One: "A is for Affirm Aloud: I am a writer!" Go ahead. Say it...now...out loud! "I am a writer!" Feels good, huh? Say it again...now...out loud and louder! Again. Okay, you get the idea? Say it every day and start believing it. You may not be a published writer--yet--but that's irrelevant today. When someone asks you what you do, own it and say, "I'm a writer." It doesn't need to be complicated. Just start affirming it everyday, out loud, for a week, and as long as it takes until your brain has accepted it, your heart has embraced it, and your soul emerges with the endless words held inside of you.

P.S. If it helps, write your affirmation on Post It notes and stick'em up all over the place...on the fridge, bathroom mirror, the computer, your steering wheel, your dog! Whatever it takes to get it to sink in!

No comments:

Post a Comment