Monday, March 14, 2011

O - Open a Favorite Book


Okay, I never said that I've mastered my own "ABC's for Writer's". This week the letter is "O" which stands for "Open a favorite book you haven't read in a long while and read it again." The truth is, I'm currently reading four different books: "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins; "Partners Again" by my good friend, Arthur Lee; "Back Roads Ireland" - A travel guide; and "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson (yes, I started this two months ago!). Currently I have 21 other titles on my "To Read Next" list. Yes, an actual list...on my iphone...with all my other lists. What I don't have is a list of my old favorites. Frankly, it would take more time than I want to give right now. Or probably ever. Admittedly, I feel guilty because since I first signed up on Goodreads (two year ago!) I've only posted once. Every time I get an update from a friend (at least twice a week!) the twinge of guilt increases, until I face the fact that I'm a complete hypocrite. I mean, it seems like if I reap the benefits of Goodreads from others' posts, I ought to be required to post, too. At least periodically. Honestly, it feels like another distraction that takes me away from actually reading, and certainly from writing. Aaaaahhhhh! The twisted, cursed irony of technology! Humphf...back to my list of "Old Favorites". It would start with "Blueberries for Sal" and "Charlotte's Web" and end with "Autobiography of a Yogi" and "Harry Potter". Somewhere in the middle would be a handful of Classics, and selected nonfiction books on health and wellness, spirituality, or publishing. No rhyme or reason. No genre. Just an opulent smattering of information, ideas and imagination woven together by compelling stories and excellent writing. If I'm honest enough to say I haven't mastered by own ABC's, you might as well know the truth about my dysfunctional reading habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment