Saturday, August 22, 2009

Authoring to Help Youth



Somewhere on about page 300 of writing Finding Tir Na Nog, I received an email from a fellow writer whom I met at a writing seminar. She put me in touch with David Cohen, a local photographer who was working on an artistic project to raise money for a nonprofit organization called Bainbridge Island Youth Services. David's photography is exquisite! He especially loves working with children and capturing their natural reactions to simple expereinces of life. David and I worked together on a book project titled Standing Here: A Gift for Bainbridge Island Youth Services which is available at Eagle Harbor Book (see link on Favorite Writing Resources). Eighty percent of the proceeds from the book are donated to BIYS, providing mental health services to local youth and young adults. The book is a collection of some of David's best photographic images with accompanying poetry and prose. I had the honor of writing four pieces of poetry for the book. The contributing authors chose an image from his portfolio--something that resonated within themselves--and wrote a piece to go with that photo. It was an exhilarating and rewarding experience! The poet in me continues to flourish...I look forward to writing for next year's edition, as well. In early July I participated in an author reading of the book at Eagle Harbor Book store...hence, the photos. (No, I did not know David was going to be wearing red! I think he looks like a young Santa Clause!) Watch for a future post with the published works. Thank you, David, for this unique opportunity....it's a pleasure working with you. - S.L. Whyte

3 comments:

  1. We'd really like to get a copy of that book. Could you help us do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shari:
    Thank you for the wonderful words about the project and my work. It was truly a pleasure to meet you and the other contributing authors. I will be using my blog as a "central hub" for the 2010 book project. I will make an initial project post after Labor Day.
    Thanks,
    http://davidwcohenphotographyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete