Wednesday, February 6, 2013

24 Days till Launch: Introducing Konohiki Place


It is my great privilege to introduce the gifted artist, Konohiki Place, who created the cover art and chapter sketches for Stelladaur: Finding Tir Na Nog.  Above is a jpg of the actual artwork for the hardcase jacket cover before the book designer added titles, formatting, text, ISBN's, reviews, etc. for print.  The paperback is slightly modified.  

I first heard about Konohiki when I was asked to produce an original musical production to be presented by a youth organization in our community.  He created beautiful original art for the production, however, I did not actually meet him during this time.  As various artists were considered for The Stelladaur Series it became obvious that Konohiki was the right person for the project.  His skill is obvious but more importantly, his work reflects the essence and energy needed for The Stelladuar.  His interpretation of the story is truly a masterpiece of imagination itself.

Not only did Konohiki read the entire manuscript twice in order to visualize what he wanted to create, he also asked if I would give him a tour of my neighborhood where many of the scenes in the real world take place.  He and his wife, Jenny, and their four adorable boys were guests in our home for dinner and an evening walk along beaches, and visits to other nearby scene locations in the book: Eagle Harbor, the marina, Eilam's house and kayak hut, the local bakery, Gazzam Lake, the high school, and views of the Seattle skyline.

It's difficult to see the intricate details of his work from the small image above.  (If you click on it you can see some of the details more clearly.) However, when you see the actual jacket cover, you'll be immediately drawn into the story that the artist himself tells.  Konohiki also designed the Stelladaur logo.  Totally awesome! 


"I have always enjoyed the creative process.  As a young boy living in Hawaii, I spent a lot of time sculpting and sketching.  I especially liked drawing dinosaurs and comic book illustrations.  Family members, friends and sometimes strangers encouraged me to develop my artistic skills.  Seeing others experience joy from my work inspires me to create over and over again.  Now a family man with four young boys, I am amazed by their ability to bring their own interpretations of the world into tangible form through various art mediums.  This propels me all the more in my world of art."  -Konohiki Place


No comments:

Post a Comment